Real Estate Transfer Tax Description
- When a property is sold in Chicago Heights, the seller is responsible for paying the Real Estate Transfer Tax.
- Before the tax is paid, an appointment must be made with the Building Code Enforcement Department (708-756-5328) and the Water Billing Department (708-756-5344) for a final inspection and a final water meter reading.
- Transfer tax payments are made in the City Clerk’s Office, and must be accompanied with a copy of the new deed to be recorded and a completed transfer tax application.
- The real estate transfer tax is based on four dollars ($4.00) for every one thousand dollars ($1,000.00) of sale price as stated on the transfer tax application.
Acceptable forms of payment are:
- Money Order
- Debit Card, Credit Card, i.e., Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express
- Cashier's Check, Certified Check, or Business Check, such as an attorney or title.
- NO personal checks accepted.
See “Application & Instructions” link below for further details.
Chapter 39, Taxation, Article VII, in the Code of Ordinances of the City of Chicago Heights is available on-line at: https://library.municode.com/il/chicago_heights